Saturday, January 26, 2008

Septoplasty

Yesterday I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction to realign my deviated septum and reduce the sidewalls of my nose. Before, apparently, I had 80% blockage of my airways, so hopefully this will fix it.

The day was...no fun. First, I've never really had surgery before. I had my wisdom teeth extracted several years ago, but I couldn't afford anesthesia, so they just gave me a shot and I was awake for it, and it wasn't bad at all. But, yesterday, I was full-blown knocked out. First, I wore one of those embarrassing gowns with a butt flap that, when you're tall, only comes down to your knees. So, when you're laying down on the bed, you're on full display.

Then, the IV. My first nurse was very sweet, but couldn't quite figure out how to get the needle in my hand. I normally don't mind needles that much, but this one hurt! She put it in the back of my hand and sort of moved it around a bit to try to stick my veins. No luck - so she pulled it out, apologized, and said she was too chicken to try again and would get another nurse. Nurse 2 - she trys the other hand - still no luck. I have plenty of veins and have never had a problem getting needles in (I mean with a doctor getting them in - not me personally, of course). So, Nurse 3 - nothing, finally anesthesiologist comes in and on her second try, she strikes oil! Finally. So, I've been poked many times in not fun places. The anesthesiologist said I have a strong basal...something...reaction, so there's plenty of veins, but they close off quickly when anything enters them.

Well, all the pricking and prodding of the needles left me a little frazzled. They wheel me into the operating room, and my body is sort of freaking out. I remember getting onto the table, then it's pretty much gone from then until recovery room.

Right after surgery, I had a bad headache and achy nose (of course) and threw up a little, but by the time we got home, I was doing okay. There's been a lot of bleeding, but I think that's pretty much passed by today, too. All I have left are these stints stitched in my nose and this "moustache dressing." Monday, I got get the stints removed, and I'm supposed to breathe much better!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good descriptions! How are you feeling now?
~Em

jandcknox said...

much better...see new post.

Anonymous said...

aww...im having the surgery done tuesday and im pretty nervous as of now.