Monday, December 17, 2007

Sometimes I wonder

Today I was driving home from school, and I saw a man get beat up and robbed. He was an old man, walking north on Pulaski at Augusta (five blocks from my house), and these two teenagers just walked right up to him, pushed him down, kicked and punched him, then stole his stuff and ran off into the alley. I was shocked, and it really took a while for it all to sink in. I called the cops, pulled over, and stood with the guy 'til someone came. I talked to the cops and paramedics, who were all really great people, actually.

But this was five blocks from home! Normally this stuff doesn't faze me much (which is sad). Maybe it was because I actually called the cops that it hit me more, but I kept thinking this very easily could have been me - or worse, my wife! I walk home from the train up Pulaski all the time. And everyone tells me not to do it or at least asks if I'm afraid, and I've never been afraid. I get yelled at sometimes, and people will mumble things under their breath (actually heard - "I'm gonna beat yer white ass" once), but it's never made me afraid that anyone would actually do anything. But, today, I'm really affected...

No comments: