Friday, December 21, 2007

This Car Gives Me a Headache!


In the next chapter of the never ending saga that is my car, I now can't even get rid of the thing for another month! Not even if I wanted to and if there were a waiting buyer with just the right amount of money. Nope - because my title has an error in it, and Springfield won't be able to fix it for at least a month. Maybe more, what with the holidays and all. You see, when I originally applied for my title, I indicated that the odometer read 11,061 miles (which is correct), but somewhere things got lost in translation, and what ended up on my actual title was 1,061 (wrong!). But, who ever checks that? Well, you should, because now I can't sell the car - even to CarMax - because of the error in the title. It looks like I tried to set back the odometer 10,000 miles, so I have to get it fixed.

Sounds simple enough, but nothing ever is. If there's one thing I hate about Chicago, it's the bureaucracy. Nothing can ever be simple, and nothing can be done quickly. I went to the Secretary of State today, only to have three employees either not know what to do (which is okay, they could just direct me to someone who does), tell me the wrong thing to do (also okay, if they're honestly mistaken, but I sensed it was in an effort to come up with a quick get-out-of-my-hair answer), or shuffle me around endlessly. Finally, I got Evelyn. Evelyn, I salute you - you took time to really help me with my problem, and even called Springfield to make sure you were right.

Anyway, that's not the first of problems I've had with my car. For one, the license plate on my car has been stolen FIVE TIMES! I've never heard of anyone having their license plate stolen, much less five times! Plus, all of the windows were smashed out one night (save the driver's side ones), but nothing was taken from inside. Another time, someone ran a tire iron through the trunk. Then, there was the time someone tried unsuccessfully to break in by breaking the door handle. Finally, the driver's side window was shot out (there's a bullet indentation on the door to mark the occasion). Not to mention the countless parking tickets and violations I've gotten (my fault, yes, but still...).

So, now I'm trying to get rid of the thing. It's just a hassle, and we don't really need the added cost of an extra car anyway. So, anyone interested in a (possibly) cursed vehicle?

No comments: