Saturday, December 15, 2007

We don't see many movies these days. I don't know why. Or if we do, we see them at the second-run theater close to our house, the Logan. I actually really like that place - it's an old-style movie theater and shows only cost $3. Or, we'll rent something from the Red Box or Blockbuster. Last night we saw this French movie we rented from Blockbuster - "Blame it on Fidel." It was worth watching.

Last weekend, we saw "Lars and the Real Girl." It has a sort of...questionable (?) premise, we initially thought, but after seeing it -- it was a really great movie. Lars (Ryan Gosling) is suffering under a delusion that this "doll" is his new fiance Bianca. Lars' brother Gus has a really hard time dealing with it, because to help him out, they're supposed to go along with it, pretend she's real. There's a lot about Lars growing up and becoming a man and what a difficult journey that is for him. One scene, I thought, was particularly good. Lars and his brother have a strained relationship, but throughout the movie, they're growing closer together as Lars is sort of growing up. This scene was sort of their turning point:

Lars: I was talking to Bianca, and she was saying that in her culture they have these rites of passages and rituals and cermonies, and, just all kinds of things that, when you do them, go through them, let you know that you're an adult? Doesn't that sound great?
Gus: It does.
Lars: How'd you know?
Gus: How'd I know what?
Lars: That you were a man
Gus: Ahhh. I couldn't tell ya.
Lars: Was it... okay, was it sex?
Gus: Um. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's uh, yeah, yeah it's kind of - it's uh - no. Well, it's kind of sex but it's not uh, you know? I don't know. I don't know. It's - uh - good question, good question.
Lars: Yeah, but I have to know
Gus: [dryer buzzes] Hold that thought.
Gus: [in basement] You know, you should ask Dagmar [Lars' shrink/doctor]
Lars: I did ask Dagmar. And she said that I should ask you.
Gus: Okay, you know I can only give you my opinion.
Lars: That's what we want
Gus: Well, it's not like you're one thing or the other, okay? There's still a kid inside but you grow up when you decide to do right, okay, and not what's right for you, what's right for everybody, even when it hurts.
Lars: Okay, like what?
Gus: Like, you know, like, you don't jerk people around, you know, and you don't cheat on your woman, and you take care of your family, you know, and you admit when you're wrong, or you try to, anyways. That's all I can think of, you know - it sound like it's easy and for some reason it's not.


No comments: